Cardboard Compulsion

Record collecting included a compulsion to keep the mailers they were sent in. Here they are, along with the stories behind them.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Desperate Bicycles - Remorse Code

(c) Henry Yu 2005
Mid-90's or so, a big time collector name Kim Gillogly from Buffalo decided to unload his records. His dad owned some car dealerships there. I remember seeing Gillogly Chevrolet stickers on the back of cars when I grew up there. However, I never heard of the guy until I moved out to California, and even then not till 1989 or 90. I remember I sold him my copy of the Sloppy Seconds Germany 45 by mail order at the time.

Vinyl Ink in Silver Spring MD bought most of his collection, and then I in turn bought some of it from them. This LP mailer contained either the Desperate Bicycles Remorse Code LP or the Suicide Commandos' Commit Suicide LP. Everything else I bought from them were 45's. One lucky score I got around this time as a result was a copy of all the ordering I did was the Hugh Beaumont Experience 45, which George, the nice proprietor at Vinyl Ink offered to me for $200 on behalf of one of his store clerks who needed to make the rent that month. How that employee sat on a stone mint copy of that record all those years I'll never know, but I was glad to pay it.

Shortly after that, perhaps '97 or so, Michael Salkin from No Trend sold his collection to Vinyl Ink. I bought The Embarassment's Sex Drive 45 at the time, which was autographed to Michael, as were many of the pieces in his collection. I later consigned it through Discourage Records after a period of being down on autographed records, only to eventually see some subsequent owner profile it on the Collector Scum website some years later.

George unfortunately passed away in the year 2002, and Vinyl Ink is no more.