Cardboard Compulsion

Record collecting included a compulsion to keep the mailers they were sent in. Here they are, along with the stories behind them.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Kitten Compilation Cassette


Mike Bastarache was a fixture on the early Boston hardcore scene, most notable for his work with SSD (he produced both of their records). After a hiatus, he rediscovered the virtues of underground music sometime in the early 90's. I had my first contact with him when he bought my extra copy of Pavement's Slay Tracks EP from me after Pavement began its east coast forays and taking the country by storm.

With the collectibility of punk rock records gaining fast interest during that period, Mike started selling records via his Set Sale Lists, neatly typed out on hardcopy and mailed out. While I typically bought records from him, this mailer carried the one cassette I bought: Kitten - a cassette compilation of midwest hardcore bands including Husker Du, that came out in '82.

Mike's lists over the years have had mind bogglingly rare records pass through it. I'd also mention that Mike is a helluva nice guy too.